slide image

Lifestyle

LET'S TALK ABOUT ANXIETY

A new decade dawns and it’s important to acknowledge that this, can be a daunting time for some of us. This digital age has brought with it a new realm of stresses and it is little wonder that anxiety disorders are on the rise. To help us get to grips with this, we talk to the experts about the five best ways to manage it…

Anxiety is your body’s natural response to stress. It’s a feeling of fear or apprehension about what’s to come.

Leigh Kenny, Clinical Regional Manager at Pieta House

1. TALKING

Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (a type of therapy that works by helping you to understand your thoughts and actions), is generally accepted to be the most effective method of treatment. Bríd O’Meara, Director of Services at Aware, outlines some helpful thoughts to keep in mind when embarking on a session. “Try to identify and consider the stress factors in your life, as anxiety is likely to worsen at times of high stress.”

Opening up in social settings is another helpful tool to keep in mind. Celebrated artist Maser and meditation coach Conor Creighton are exploring this area with the creation of a group called The Dublin Boys Club, focused on healthy masculinity, where men can learn to communicate with each other in a less intimidating environment. Elaborating on why they have chosen this avenue, Maser says, “Usually, we meet for a hike, out in nature, where men can speak freely. Conversations are more public and platforms including social media and podcasts create a healthy space with more discussions, but there is always room for more growth, less stigma and judgement and more compassion.”

slide image

The newest lululemon X Roksanda Collection now available in our Dublin Store.

2. YOGA

O’Meara also advises “light physical exercise and spending time outdoors.” We spoke to lululemon ambassador and yoga and meditation teacher Sinéad Mooney about the benefits of yoga in particular for our mental health. Mooney explains, “the mind loves to create patterns, so the practice of yoga allows a re-patterning of certain destructive thoughts towards new healthy habits or patterns in our way of thinking. This is why I refer to mindful movement or meditation as brain training!” Lamenting on her initial scepticism, personal trainer Adrienne Murphy admits, “once my yoga practice deepened, I began to see my self-dialogue adapt and change. I am a high energy person and always on the go, so taking that 30 minutes or one hour to be still and also learning to be okay with being still has been a really beneficial part of my yoga practice.”

SHOP ACTIVEWEAR

slide image

3. DIET

“First we need to understand that most of your feel-good neurotransmitters are located in the gut. Without supporting your gut, you will only deal with your anxiety with a Band-Aid approach,” explains Dr Nigma Talib, a naturopathic practitioner and bestselling author. So how do we create a healthy gut microbiome? Dietitian Orla Walsh, with an MA in physiology, suggests eating “as many different plants as they can each week (aim for 30 varieties).” While plant-based food blogger Indy Power of Little Green Spoon starts her day off with a high-quality probiotic, adding, “it’s a great way to keep your gut bacteria in balance.” When it comes to what we should avoid, Power warns against restrictive diets, while Dr Talib advises trying “matcha instead of coffee for more antioxidants.”

SHOP ELECTRICS

slide image

4. AROMATHERAPY

In the early noughties, Nicola Elliott, Creative Director of Neom Organics, was seeking some balance in her life. Then Fashion Editor of Glamour magazine, Elliott was suffering from anxiety caused by her 60-hour working weeks. Elliott begins, “I was pushing a lot into my day. Then when I started blending aromatherapy oils, I found them so helpful, and a fantastic way of looking after myself.” When asked which of her scents would she recommend to de-stress after a long day, Elliott picks Real Luxury. “It has 24 essential oils – a real cashmere blanket of a fragrance.” Continuing, she says, “It’s about what product fits into your day. Sometimes, all I can manage to do for myself is to have a 15-minute bath in the evening with the essential oils or a candle lighting, but if you don’t even have time for that, you can indulge in a quick spritz of the pillow mist.”

SHOP NEOM

LISTEN TO THE BROWN THOMAS PODCAST

slide image

5. BREATHING

I recommend starting with the Kirtan Kriya meditation before getting into breathing exercises to first calm down the nervous system. I advise practising five to ten minutes, three to four times per day. When you begin, you may feel tired, but over time, the technique should become easier and feel more natural.

Dr. Nigma Talib

To do it:

1. Lie straight on your back with your knees slightly bent and your head on a cushion (you can place a cushion under your knees for support)
  2. Place one hand on your upper chest and one hand below your rib cage, so you feel the movement of your diaphragm.
  3. Slowly inhale through your nose for four seconds - you should feel your stomach pressing into your hand and keep your other hand as still as possible.
  4. Hold your breath for seven seconds.
  5. Exhale with pursed lips as you tighten your stomach muscles, still keeping your upper hand completely still for eight seconds.

MINDFUL MOVE

Stay tuned to our social media for updates on incredible mindful activities coming soon to our Dublin store, from yoga sessions to mediations and quiet locations to take some time out, see a calendar of events created just for you to ensure you have a self-care filled spring.

MORE TO READ

We’ve curated a list of calming apps to guide you down the path to Zen and off to dreamland at the touch of a button in Apps to Help you Catch some ZZZs.