Your Shopping Bag is Empty
BRUNCH AT HUGH BROWN'S
As summer bids us a bittersweet farewell, we look to warming brunch inspiration from our in-house restaurateurs at Hugh Brown’s, Domini and Peaches Kemp. Discover the secret to their shakshuka eggs available all day on Level 3 of our Dublin store and have a go at recreating this signature dish at home…
Chilly mornings are made all the easier with a filling hot breakfast so get your day off to a tasty start thanks to this Eastern classic. In just three steps you can create this trendy meal that packs a punch in flavour and is also nutrient rich.
Eggs are one of nature's superfoods and the combination of rich tomato sauce with baked eggs and a small spoonful of feta spiced with cumin seeds and black sesame, served with toasted organic sourdough from artisan bakery, Tartine, makes a great breakfast dish.Domini Kemp
SHAKSHUKA EGGS WITH SPICED FETA AND TARTINE SOURDOUGH
Serves 2 people if you’re starving. But you could increase the eggs to 6 and serve three people, with slightly less of the sauce.Domini Kemp
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 50 ml olive oil
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- A good pinch muscovado sugar
- A good pinch smoked paprika
- 50g diced chorizo
- Few sprigs thyme
- 1 tin crushed tomatoes
- A splash of tabasco sauce
- Salt & pepper
- 4 eggs
- Garnish with crumbled feta and black sesame seeds
1. In a large non-stick deep frying pan (which you have a lid for) dry roast the cumin for a minute or so until the aroma releases. Then add the oil and chopped onions and slowly sweat for about 5 minutes until soft but not coloured. Add the sugar and paprika and stir so the sugar melts and starts to caramelise. Add in the chorizo after a minute and after another minute or so, add the thyme, tomatoes and Tabasco.
2. The heat will start to break up the tomatoes. At this stage, put a lid on, turn the heat down low and cook for about ten minutes, occasionally stirring until it starts to turn into a lovely thick tomato sauce. Taste and season well.
3. You can either cool it down until the next day or else keep going by cracking the eggs into the mixture and then leaving them to “poach” on the surface of the tomato sauce. Putting a lid on also helps the eggs to cook or alternatively, place under your grill. When ready to serve, carefully scoop out so the eggs stay intact. Top with crumbled feta and black sesame seeds.
JUST ADD EGGS
MORE TO READ
Create a beautiful atmosphere at home with our selection of amazing candles from the world’s best brands in Scents to Lift Your Mood.